Disability Tax Credits and Benefits for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)/Lou Gehrig’s Disease

Introduction

When a person is affected by a neurological disorder, he or she may have to be taken care of by those people who love them. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), known in popular culture as Lou Gehrig’s disease because of the baseball player who suffered from the disease, is a neurological disease that prevents a person from exercising control over the movement of his or her voluntary muscles. Initially, when the condition is mild, the patient may not be able to move some of the muscles, which are normally controllable by that person. If the condition grows to be more serious in nature, it results in the complete loss of control of all the body functions including breathing, which could result in the death of that person. It is necessary to be aware of how this disease affects a person and the possible causes for ALS disease in the first place.

ALS is seen in a person when nerve cells called neurons are damaged. These nerve cells are responsible for transmitting messages between brain and the spinal cord, which in turn transmits those messages to the voluntary muscles. This results in the proper functioning of the voluntary muscles. Most probably, the onset of ALS occurs between the ages of 40 and 60. If this debilitating disease affects you or someone in your family, you can apply for Canada’s disability tax credit under certain categories.

Causes

The exact cause(s) of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is still being researched by scientists. It has been found that almost 10% of people inherit this disease from their ancestors. The causative factor for the remaining 90% could be attributed to one or more of the following:

  • The mutation of genes can lead to the development of ALS.
  • Glutamate is the chemical substance within the brain that covers the nerve cells, which acts as the messenger between the brain and the muscles. If the presence of glutamate is higher than the normal level, it might become toxic and affect the nerve cells.
  • The immune system, which is responsible for protecting the body from external agents, might sometimes attack its own cells, which might result in the development of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
  • If the proteins within the nerve cells are not used up, they have a tendency to become accumulated within them, affecting the function of the nerve cells.

Symptoms

The following are some symptoms exhibited by people who suffer from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS):

  • Lifting the feet becomes a hard task during the initial stage of the disease.
  • Difficulty in walking is seen among most people who carry this disease.
  • The person experiences weakness in his or her muscles, especially limbs.
  • Affected individuals may find difficulty while speaking and swallowing.
  • When the chest muscles become affected, there will be difficulty in breathing.

Disability Tax Credits for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)/Lou Gehrig’s Disease

A person affected by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) has to undergo continuous treatment to reduce the severity of the condition. Immediate medical attention is required since the disease could become more severe and create a life-threatening situation. People affected with this disease are eligible to apply for the disability tax credit and other benefits offered by the Canadian government under categories like walking, dressing, feeding and speaking. HandyTax can maximize your claim. Speak to one of our friendly representatives today!